What can I use as voter ID?

You’ll need to show photo ID when voting in local elections

Local elections are taking place on Thursday 2 May. These elections are important for UNISON members and everyone working in public services.

It’s essential that public services workers use their voices. To do so, you’ll need to take voter ID with you to the polling station.

Voter ID

You’ll need to show photo ID when voting in most UK elections.

You’ll need one of the following types of photo ID to vote:

  • A UK or Northern Ireland photocard driving licence (full or provisional)
  • A driving licence issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein, the Isle of Man or any of the Channel Islands
  • A UK passport
  • A passport issued by an EU country, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or a Commonwealth country
  • A PASS card (National Proof of Age Standards Scheme)
  • A Blue Badge
  • A biometric residence permit (BRP)
  • A Defence Identity Card (MOD form 90)
  • A national identity card issued by the EU, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein
  • A Northern Ireland Electoral Identity Card
  • A Voter Authority Certificate
  • An Anonymous Elector’s Document
  • You can also use one of the following travel passes as photo ID when you vote:
    • An Older Person’s bus pass
    • A disabled Person’s bus pass
    • An Oyster 60+ card
    • A Freedom Pass

The photo on your ID must look like you. You can still use your ID even if it has expired.

The name on your ID must match your name on the electoral register. If it does not, you’ll need to either register to vote again with new details or take a document with you to vote that proves you’ve changed your name (for example, a marriage certificate).