WELCOME TO OUR ACTIVISTS EDUCATION PAGE
Through our Education Programmes we are able to empower our activists and members to have a stronger and more confident approach when organising as a union. Our courses enable activists to speak with confidence when negotiating with employers and speaking in public. In consultation with the Regional Development and Organising Committee the decision has been taken to cancel all class-based activist and member learning courses during the pandemic.
All learning is now online until further notice
Our Q2 options can also be seen on our events page
UNISON South West Activists Learning Offer
In the meantime thank you for your patience and understanding. If you have any queries please email us:
Another opportunity for Stewards Training
Extra Date Added – THIS JUNE! 💜💚
23, 30 June, 7, 14 & 21 July
0930-430pm each date
30 hours over 5 weeks
This course consists of a three-hour online meeting, on the days above, plus remote learning via an online learning platform totalling 30 hours of learning over 5 weeks.
The course aims to develop your skills, knowledge and confidence to enable you to carry out the role of a steward in UNISON, including to:
• Understand the role of an organising union in public services
• Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
• Work with members in resolving cases
• Know where and when to seek advice and guidance
• Understand how procedures work in practice
APPLY TODAY – BOOK HERE
If you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact us via email 👇
Click Here: SW Edu & Equalities Team
July will see our Branch Officer Training on offer and an email to those elected in to branch positions has been sent out.
It wont be long until we release dates for up and coming training. Due to a busy July training Branch Officers and the summer holidays our next training options will commence from September to November.
Click Here: SW Edu & Equalities Team
NEW!!! Stewards & H&S Reps Training
Sept – Nov
20, 27 September, 4, 11 & 18 October
9.30am – 4.30pm
2, 9, 16, 23 & 30 November
(In order to complete the training you must be able to attend all 5 ‘live’ sessions)
Organising Stewards course content:
This course consists of online meetings, plus remote learning via an online learning platform totalling 30 hours of learning over 5 weeks.
The course aims to develop your skills, knowledge and confidence to enable you to carry out the role of a steward in UNSION, including to:
- Understand the role of an organising union in public services
- Work with members to tackle issues in the workplace
- Work with members in resolving cases
- Know where and when to seek advice and guidance
- Understand how procedures work in practice
Online Health and Safety Stage 1
30 hours over 5 weeks including online sessions on dates below:
12, 19, 26 November, 3 & 10 December – 9.30 am – 4.30pm
This course is aimed at new Health and Safety Representatives and will cover:
- The role of the H&S Rep
- The rights of the H&S rep and health and safety law
- Responsibilities of the employer
- Carrying out workplace inspections
- Understanding Risk Assessment
- Organising around health and safety issues
- Raising health and safety issue with the employer
Whats next? All of our offers of learning for UNISON Activists are displayed on our events page
2020 saw over 100 new activists trained!
Over 100 new activists have completed trained during the COVID-19 Pandemic …….Zooming into homes across the South West, our regional education team have trained 107 new workplace representatives so far this year………..
Its great so many new volunteers have stepped forward to help organise and strengthen our union.
Volunteering can be so rewarding. What is a UNISON Steward?
Elected workplace stewards
Workplace stewards are the heart of our trade union. UNISON’s stewards are the reason we win campaigns that result in better lives for our members and all working people. Stewards help to organise your colleagues into an effective, strong and welcoming membership. They:
- Are the first point of contact for members in a workplace
- Talk to members about the union
- Talk to staff about their issues
- Offer advice on issues at work
- Represent members in cases (including at disciplinary and grievance hearings).
- Campaign for better working conditions
- Recruit and organise new members
- Encourage more members to get active in UNISON
- Raise your members’ issues with the branch.
Take a look at other roles you can get more involved in: