26 – 27 January 2018
The theme for Get Active 2018 will be Organising for Equality. Over two days of talks, training and networking, attendees will learn what issues and methods are effective tools in building equal and fair workplaces that are free from discrimination.
Get Active 2018 is particularly aimed at new activists in UNISON. It is a friendly, informal and open event that is perfect for starting your journey with the union.
What is Get Active 2018 about?
Our aim with our Get Active 2018 event is to provide you with a wealth of experiences to help you feel equipped to really get active within UNISON.
Over two days you will experience a wide range of workshops and speakers, alongside opportunities to chat to colleagues from across UNISON South West, to meet your Convenors and NEC members, and to see for yourselves some of the great organisations who work with us.
The agenda for Get Active 2018 includes:
- Supporting migrant workers through Brexit and the government’s “hostile environment” policy
- Negotiating disability rights at work
- Recruiting young members and campaigning on mental health
- The history and future of LGBT rights at work
We’re also pleased to welcome a number of expert speakers at Get Active 2018:
- Roger McKenzie, UNISON assistant general secretary
- Margaret Greer, UNISON national race equality officer
On Friday evening our famous Awards dinner will again be open to all delegates attending Get Active 2018 with special invited speakers. The awards include:
- Branch of the year (small, medium and large branch categories)
- Eric Roberts Organising Rep of the year (two categories, one for public sector and another for community, voluntary and private sector)
- Bob Cotton health and safety rep of the year
- Equality award
- Learning initiative
- Young member of the year
Nominations close on 4 December 2017
Spaces are limited so please book early.
- Earlybird registration opens for first time delegates Saturday 21 October at 11am.
- Open registration opens Monday 20th November at 10am.
- All registration closes Monday 18th December at 4pm
Until 20 November Earlybird registration will be open only for delegates who have not attended previously and are not already active at regional or national level.
If you are an experienced activist or have attended before and would like to come again please do register your interest as, subject to spaces remaining, we will be opening Get Active to all by the end of November.
A note for branch leaders: please do encourage new activists from your branch to sign up. Why not schedule them in now for a feed back slot at your branch committee in February?
During registration you need to either register for the Get Active event and evening awards ceremony OR the Get Active event only.
If you are registering on behalf of someone else, you must provide that member’s details to ensure they can access the event. Multiple registrations in the same name will not be accepted.
Get Active fees are charged to branches at £25 for first time attendees, or £50 for delegates who have been before. Branches will be invoiced following the event.
Delegates must have the approval of your branch to attend Get Active. Branches are responsible for all costs associated with attending the event including travel and accommodation.
Once you have registered you will receive confirmation and reminder emails from our Eventbrite account. Please do not unsubscribe to notifications from the organiser as we use these for surveys and further info about the event.